Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mailbag

Libercad asks:
Can you publish the result of this command?
uname -a
sure, Linux red-mini 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP i686 GNU/Linux

Thor2002ro asks:
Can I get your contact info?
If you want to reach me you can find me on gmail, aim, skype and last.fm under the name redDEADresolve. I don't mind helping you out, just remember I am not Dell Ubuntu tech support.

Ron Z asked:
Does Ubuntu on the Dell Mini have dual monitor support or does it only provide mirroring?
I am only able to get mirror mode working, maybe some readers have been able to get dual monitor support working. Leave a comment and help Ron Z out.

Mattias asked:
Did you try different Secure digital High Capacity cards?
I only tried the one I bought, the Transend 8GB SDHC S5 Model TS8GSDHC6- S5W. Leave a comment about your models for Mattias.

phreaksYcle asked Neil J Patel (one of the Ubuntu Netbook Remix developers):
Do I need to install ume-config-netbook?
Neil wrote back: Nope, this package shouldn't be needed at all. All the work for the
diamondville based systems is already in hardy/intrepid, so things should just work. The only thing that would ever need configuration (and only sometimes) seems to be things like
wifi/audio/suspend-resume, but ume-config didn't handle these things anyway.

And finally nanog brought some interesting info to my attention.
Could you please correct your statement on this blog and on the mini forum thread. The fluendo multimedia codecs provided by Dell are definitely not available at medibuntu. These proprietary codecs are available for purchase from canonical here.

nanog is right my guide and medibuntu do not contain the same codecs as the Fluendo multimedia codecs. But in the last two years of using Ubuntu and these guides, I have never some across a media format that I wasn't able to play. Plus, nanog has been kind of mean to pHreak on the Ubuntu Forums. Be cool, he's a 15 year old kid trying to get the hang of Ubuntu. It's my job to yell at him if he's wrong, not yours =)

Have a question or problem that this article doesn't cover?
Ask our Ubuntu Mini 9 Google Group for help.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to have no Audio after wakeup from Suspend... Is anyone else having issues?

Anonymous said...

I have a working external monitor.

STEP 1
exit xorg to look like this:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
#newstuff for adding a 1440x900 display
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 2464 900
EndSubSection
#end newstuff
EndSection

STEP 2
Then restart X via crtl-alt-backspace

STEP 3
then use xrandr:
to turn external monitor on:
xrandr --output VGA --auto --right-of LVDS

STEP 4
to turn external monitor off:
xrandr --output VGA --off

Anonymous said...

Something to add, according to the second anonymous commenter.

TERMINAL "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Find
"Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection"

Change it into
"Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubSection
EndSection"

I worked with a 19" Dell LCD, so 1280x1024 was just what i merely asked for. You can change it to any resolution you want though.

Then, NO NEED to use terminal to turn on the second monitor.

Use Fn+8, it'll work out just fine. Mini and the external monitor will have the same resolution (in my case, 1280x1024.) On mini's monitor, just part of the screen will be shown.

To turn off the external monitor, unplug and press Fn+8 again. Mini's screen will be back to 1024x600.

Anonymous said...

I cant get the internal mic to work with any applications. I would like to use video calling with the internal mic.
Can any one help ?

emptythevoid said...

Per the first post about no audio after suspend...

I had a similar problem - sometimes after a shutdown or suspend, the sound would fail to work correctly. However, when the sound wasn't working, I could toggle on and off the Mute button and hear a clicking noise from the speakers. A chat with Dell Linux support and a quick run of the Dell Diagnostics and it appears that the systemboard wasn't allowing Ubuntu to generate an interrupt for the sound. So that meant shipping off my Mini 9 and getting a replacement motherboard. Now that it's back, it's working just fine. Even with Ubuntu 8.10 I have no problems.

RetroGunner said...

Adding the SubSection with Virtual 1366 768 worked great after the reboot (I could have c+a+bksp but had too anyway).

Now I can fn+8 with my external monitor and back when not connected. Thanks.