Sunday, October 19, 2008

ACPI: GC: GPE storm detected

SOLVED
It was an error in the usb-creator software. I used UNetnootin and installation worked flawlessly.

-----------
I was trying to reinstall Ubuntu 8.10 Beta on my Dell Mini 9. Instead of going to a LiveUSB desktop it keeps throwing me into a BusyBox Shell. I get the error:
[ 0.749487] ACPI: GC: GPE storm detected, disabling EC GPE
Loading Please wait...
BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu4) built in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-commands.

I tried adding acpi=off in the boot parameters but no luck.

Have a question or problem that this article doesn't cover?
Ask our Ubuntu Mini 9 Google Group for help.

3 comments:

Joe Dericho said...

this is what worked for me... i have an 8gb sandisk usb key and i used unetbootin-windows-282 with ubuntu-8.10-beta-desktop-i386.iso. i received the same error:

[ 0.749487] ACPI: GC: GPE storm detected, disabling EC GPELoading

but then it went on to boot correctly and the install completed successfully. that same error flashes on the screen just after grub and before the usplash screen on every boot but my mini runs intrepid just fine.

WolfKeeper said...

I've seen that error as well but I'm in the same boat as jon -- my Mini 9 keeps going past it to boot normally.

Anonymous said...

I ran into the exact same error over the weekend. I haven't been able to get rid of the "storm detected" message, but was able to clear the busybox prompt after a little searching. I saw the message after having created an 8.10 bootable thumb using both usb-creator and UNetBootin (Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.04). I eventually was able to get 8.10 installed by following an article that walked you through manually creating a bootable thumbdrive. I don't know this for a fact, but creating a bootable thumbdrive using 8.10 AND a thumbdrive with less than 2GB capacity (mine was 1GB) seem be contributing factors.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/10/15/ubuntu-810-persistent-flash-drive-install-from-live-cd/

Hit the "Create Ubuntu 8.10 flash drive manually" and see if that doesn't at least get you up and running. It won't fix the "GPE storm" issue, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Now if I can just figure out why Gnome Sound keeps dying intermittently....