Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ordered My Mini 9 Yesterday

I ordered my Dell Dell Inspiron Mini 9 last night. I ended up costing me $494 plus tax and shipping.
Here is what I bought:


Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)
Obsidian Black
1GB DDR2 at 533MHz
Glossy 8.9 inch LED display (1024X600)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
16GB Solid State Drive
Mini OS powered by Ubuntu 8.04
Wireless 802.11g Mini Card
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
32WHr Battery (4 cell)
Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 capability


It should ship around October 15th. I could have gotten the Windows XP version for the same price with the same specs but elected not to. I'm interested in how Dell and Canonical will ship the Mini 9. The Mini OS powered by Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 does look interesting and it will be nice to have an operating system that is tailored to the hardware.

Have a question or problem that this article doesn't cover?
Ask our Ubuntu Mini 9 Google Group for help.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ordered mine (with the same specs as yours!) and it will ship October 22nd. I wonder why there is such a big delay between the WinXP version and Ubuntu. Hardy (8.04.1) has been around for a while, so I can't understand the delay...
Nick

Anonymous said...

What is your status of your order? Mine is still in production, and the ETA is Oct. 22nd. There seems to be supply shortages (the webcam for example, which is not even available for any new order). It would be interesting to track some of that progress in this blog. Here some interesting discussion going on:

http://yourblog.dell.com/2008/09/22/green-light-for-ubuntu-powered-inspiron-mini-shipments/

http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=910487&highlight=dell+mini&page=18

http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/10093037?page=last#lastPost

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=302350&page=17

Jazz1 said...

I've got a Mini 9 with Ubuntu on order. Does anyone know if Ubuntu supports 802.1X authentication which my university uses? If it doesn't I've got to switch to Windows before it ships.

redDEAD said...

the mini 9 uses the Broadcom 1395 chipset so check to see if that supports 802.1x authentication

Anonymous said...

interesting specs.

In the UK we can buy a 8GB version with Ubuntu for £269 or a 16GB version with Windows for £299

We can't get 16GB AND Ubunutu :(

I wondering if I can just buy the Windows version and just wipe it an install Ubuntu... if the other hardware is identical I don't see why not... although I'm not confident on getting Ubuntu booting from a live USB-stick yet.

admin said...

silly

get the lowest ram and ssd version you can


upgrade

unbuntu 8.10 works fine
you can boot up with an microxp 100meg shell
and dual boot

>:)

Abby Normal said...

I'd like to upgrade but don't know how ! I especially want to upgrade my hard drive. Is Ubuntu user friendly for linux beginners?

Specs:
Inspiron 910 Intel Atom processor N270, 1.6GHz, 533Mhz512K L2 Cache
512MB,DDR2,533MHZ,1 DIMM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
8GB Solid State Drive (mini-card Module/PATA)
Genuine Windows XP Home Edition00
Wireless 802.11g Mini Card
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
32WHr 4-cell Battery

redDEAD said...

Abby,

Check the Dell Mini 9 Service manual. It can walk you through the whole process.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins910/en/sm/index.htm

Abby Normal said...

Thanx so much redDEAD!

Anonymous said...

The 32g ssd is cheap now that 64 and 128 are gaining production...

btw, 2gig memor swap is easy and Ubu8.10 uses it ok